This notice of a call for proposals is based on Decision No 1718/2006/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 November 2006 concerning the implementation of a programme of support for the European audiovisual sector (MEDIA 2007).
The aim of the ‘digitisation of cinemas’ scheme is to encourage cinemas showing a significant percentage of non-national European works to exploit the possibilities offered by digital. This call for proposals aims to facilitate the digital transition of cinemas screening European films by supporting the side costs linked to the purchase of a digital projector.
The global objectives of the programme are to:
(a) preserve and enhance European cultural and linguistic diversity and its cinematographic and audiovisual heritage, guarantee its accessibility to the public and promote intercultural dialogue;
(b) increase the circulation and viewership of European audiovisual works inside and outside the European Union, including through greater cooperation between players;
(c) strengthen the competitiveness of the European audiovisual sector in the framework of an open and competitive European market favourable to employment, including by promoting links between audiovisual professionals.
This notice is aimed at European independent cinema operators whose principal activity is the screening of films. Applicants must be established in one of the following countries:
• the 27 countries of the European Union:
• Croatia, the EEA countries or Switzerland
Applicant organisations must:
• be first run cinemas (programming European films in first run, within a maximum period of 12 months after the national release);
• have been open to the public for a minimum of three years;
• possess a ticketing and entry declaration system;
• have at least one screen and 70 seats;
• have presented 520 screening per year for permanent cinema (i.e. cinemas in operation for a period of at least six months per year), 300 screenings per year for single screen theatres (30 screenings per month) and at least 30 screenings per month for summer/open three air cinemas (cinemas in operation for less than six months per year);
• have had at least 20 000 spectators in the previous 12 months or 20 000 cinema admissions where a normal ticket price was actually paid.
• to be considered as eligible, the cinemas must have screened, in 2010, a minimum of 50 % European films of which at least 30 % are European non-national.
Support to the side costs linked to the purchase of digital projectors meeting the content security requirements for Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI) compliance to be installed in a cinema complying with all the eligibility criteria.
Support can be requested for only one projector per screen and for a maximum of three screens per cinema.
The projector must be bought between the date of submission and 30 June 2013.
The annual budget earmarked for the co-financing of projects is estimated at EUR 2 000 000.
The financial contribution awarded is a subsidy and takes the form of a lump sum, a maximum of EUR 20 000 per screen.
This subsidy covers any costs related to the digital transition of European theatres, to the exclusion of the cost of the digital projector and server.
Deadline for submissions: 15 September 2011
Proposals must be sent at the following address:
Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA)
Avenue du Bourget/Bourgetlaan 1
Only applications submitted on the official application form, duly signed by the person entitled to enter into legally binding commitments on behalf of the applicant organisation will be accepted. Envelopes must clearly mention:
MEDIA programme — Distribution EACEA/19/11 — Digitisation of cinemas
More information is to be found on: http://ec.europa.eu/culture/media/programme/distrib/schemes/auto/index_en.htm
The full call for proposals can be read on: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2011:191:0015:0018:EN:PDF