CALL FOR PROPOSALS — EACEA/18/11
Jean Monnet programme — Key activity 1
Information and research activities for ‘Learning EU at school’
The general level of knowledge of the European Union, its policies and its institutions is less than optimal, with a large part of the population having little or no knowledge or information on the Union. This is particularly valid for young people and is reflected in the low turn-out rate at the European Parliament elections in 2009.
The ‘Learning EU at school’ initiative is the European Commission’s specific response to a request by the European Parliament, which stipulates that the lifelong learning programme ‘should include measures to promote civic education (teaching and learning) on European Democratic Citizenship including studies of Europe and the European Union in the European Member States’ secondary schools’
The general objective is to bring European Union facts and knowledge on its institutions and its way of functioning to pupils and students.
The specific objective of this call for proposals is to support unilateral projects under the ‘Information and research activities’ of the Jean Monnet programme, in order to:
• raise the level of general knowledge of the European Union, its policies and its institutions, so as to reduce the growing gap between the population and the European institutions,
• develop content for EU teachers at the level of primary and secondary schools and within vocational education and training.
Priority is given to projects involving higher education institutions, institutions and/or associations as indicated in point 3 demonstrating evident experience in teaching, research and educational activities on European integration issues.
This call for proposals is open to applications from:
• higher education institutions;
• institutions and/or associations:
• of professors and researchers specialising in European integration studies,
• of teachers and pedagogues,
• ensuring the continuing education and training of teachers,
• of higher education institutions and/or schools.
The projects under this call for proposals are unilateral.
In the framework of this call, eligible activities must have one or more of the following objectives:
• developing and delivering appropriate pedagogical content and new/adapted didactic material for the teaching of European integration at the level of primary and secondary schools and in vocational education and training,
• implementing teacher training and continuing education for teachers by providing them with the appropriate knowledge and skills to teach European integration at the level of primary and secondary schools and in vocational education and training institutions,
• providing specifically designed seminars or workshops on European integration to pupils at the level of primary and secondary schools and in vocational education and training institutions. Such projects must be submitted by a higher education institution having evident experience in teaching and research on European integration issues. Projects must list the schools that have agreed to take part in the activities.
The projects activities must start between 1 December 2011 and 31 January 2012. The maximum duration of projects is 12 months.
Costs incurred before the start of the eligibility period will not be considered
The total budget earmarked for the co-financing of projects is EUR 2 000 000.
The maximum grant will be EUR 60 000 ( 1 ).
The financial contribution from the Agency cannot exceed 75 % of the total project costs.
The deadline for the submission of applications is: 15 September 2011,
Only applications submitted on the official form, duly completed, dated, submitted in three copies (one original clearly identified as such, plus two photocopies), and signed by the person authorised to enter into legally binding commitments on behalf of the applicant organisation will be accepted.
Applications must be sent by post to the following address:
Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency
Unit P2 — Lifelong Learning: Erasmus, Jean Monnet
Call for proposals — EACEA/18/11 — ‘Learning EU at School’
Office: BOU2 3/57
Avenue du Bourget/Bourgetlaan 1
More information can be found on: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/llp/funding/2011/call_jean_monnet_action_ka1_2011school_en.php