The Council of Europe invites applications from young Roma to participate in its Roma Youth Conference in Strasbourg on September 26-30, 2011.
The Roma Youth Conference aims at bringing together Roma youth organisations and Roma youth representatives to discuss the priority needs and objectives for a Roma Youth Action Plan within the Council of Europe.
• to share and explore the situation of Roma young people in Europe, particularly in relation to discrimination and access to human rights;
• to discuss the meaning and relevance of the Strasbourg Declaration for young Roma today and ways to contribute to its implementation;
• to identify youth policy responses to the situation of Roma young people today, particularly at European level;
• to develop proposals and priorities for activities involving Roma young people and youth organisations in the Council of Europe’s youth sector and beyond;
• to bring together and facilitate the dialogue between different stakeholders on Roma youth issues in Europe;
• to enhance the participation of Roma youth in the activities of the Council of Europe.
The Roma Youth Conference is a four-day event involving some 50 participants.
The proposed working languages will be English and French. The possibility of Romani interpretation will be analysed in the light of the selected candidates’ needs. Interpretation possibilities into other languages may be considered on a case-by-case basis, possibly relying on volunteer interpreters.
Participants will be primarily young Roma involved in Roma youth organisations and projects as well as leaders of other youth organisations involved in youth policies having an impact on young Roma.
The conference will bring together primarily representatives and active leaders of Roma youth organisations and young Roma active in other organisations and projects from the Council of Europe member states. Representatives of other European youth organisations and institutions will also be invited (in limited numbers). All participants should also:
• Be aged between 18 and 30 years (exceptions will be possible when justified);
• Be motivated and committed to contribute to the programme of the conference and its outcomes;
• Have already some experience preferably at international level;
• Be willing and able to liaise with other Roma young people, communities and organisations;
• Be able to work in English or in French or in Romani;
• Be available for the whole duration of the activity.
Financial and practical conditions of participation
Travel expenses: will be reimbursed by the Council of Europe according to the rules applying to participants in activities of the European Youth Centre. The participants will be reimbursed in cash during the activity or by bank transfer after the activity.
Board and lodging: will be provided by the Council of Europe at the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg.
How to Apply
All candidates must apply on-line, completing the application form on: http://youthapplications.coe.int/
Applications must be submitted by Tuesday, 26 July 2011. A letter of support from their sending organisation has to be uploaded on the platform or sent separately by e-mail, fax or post. In case of several applicants from the same organisation, the support letter should indicate the priority of the applicants.
Read more about the conference and find the programme of the conference on: http://www.romadecade.org/coe_youth_conference_2011