EU leaders and social partners stress need to rebuild confidence in Europe
- Tripartite Social Summit: EU leaders and social partners stress need to rebuild confidence in Europe
- At the Tripartite Social Summit held today in Brussels EU leaders and social partners highlighted the urgent need to rebuild confidence in European integration and agreed on the need for further collective efforts to pursue sustainable economic growth, while ensuring social cohesion and quality employment.
- European workers’ and employers’ representatives joined the President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso, the President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy and the Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras, for the Presidency of the Council, at the Summit, ahead of the European Council. The theme of this year’s summit was ‘Rebuilding confidence in Europe: focus on job creation – lessons learnt and future orientations’.
- The talks covered the economic situation in the EU, Europe 2020 (the EU’s long-term growth and jobs strategy) and the Commission’s recent proposals on industrial competitiveness and climate and energy.
- They also touched upon youth unemployment and social dialogue during the European Semester for economic policy coordination. Representatives from the previous Lithuanian presidency and the upcoming Italian presidency also took part. The Tripartite Social summit takes place twice a year, before the autumn and spring European Council meetings
- Read more: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-282_en.htm?locale=en