Eurobarometer survey on sport and physical activity
- Eurobarometer survey on sport and physical activity
- According to the survey 59% of European Union citizens never or seldom exercise or play sport, while 41% do so at least once a week. Northern Europe is more physically active than the South and East. 70% of respondents in Sweden said they exercise or play sport at least once a week, just ahead of Denmark (68%) and Finland (66%), followed by the Netherlands (58%) and Luxembourg (54%). At the other end of the scale, 78% never do so in Bulgaria, followed by Malta (75%), Portugal (64%), Romania (60%) and Italy (60%).
- The survey shows that local authorities in particular could do more to encourage citizens to be physically active. While 74% of respondents believe that local sport clubs and other providers provide sufficient opportunities for this, 39% think their local authorities are not doing enough.
- The Eurobarometer survey was carried out for the European Commission by the TNS Opinion & Social network in the 28 Member States between 23 November and 2 December 2013.
- Nearly 28 000 respondents from different social and population groups took part in the poll.
Read more: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb_special_419_400_en.htm#412