Betweeen 13-19 November 2011, the sixth Global Youth Summit will take place in the UK, bringing together social entrepreneurs, community activists and volunteers aged 16-19 from around the world. During the summit, the new Changemakers will be exchanging best practices and developing action plans for projects that tackle issues ranging from AIDS/HIV and corruption to education and human rights
Global Changemakers is a British Council funded global youth network of social entrepreneurs and community activists from 113 countries worldwide. Its mission is to empower youth to catalyse positive social change. Global Changemakers is a vibrant global community of young social entrepreneurs, activists, and volunteers. It is a place to share experiences, build skills, apply and test ideas and access opportunities.
Objectives of Global Youth Summit
• Improve participants’ knowledge, insight, and exposure to key economic, political, and social issues globally
• Improve participants’ ability to design and deliver projects by giving them the concrete tools and skills they need to amplify their work
• Support intercultural dialogue among young people from around the world
• Serve as a platform to exchange knowledge, ideas and best practices of what works most effectively in global and local contexts
• Grow and sustain the network of Global Changemakers
60 candidates will be selected which should:
• Be aged 16-19 on November 13, 2011
• Have a proven track record of social entrepreneurship, community activism or volunteer work
• Possess good spoken command of English
How to apply
An online call for applications is out on www.global-changemakers.net asking social entrepreneurs, community activists and volunteers from around the world aged 16-19 to submit a written application and 2-minute YouTube video detailing their track record in community work and how they plan to contribute to the network activity and wider impact if selected. Together with local staff and Global Changemakers from previous summits the applications will be evaluated and, considering the quality of the applications as well as geographic, thematic and gender balance, 60 candidates will be invited to attend the summit and join the Global Changemakers network.
The application form can be found on: http://www.global-changemakers.net/gys2011application
The deadline for application is 24 July 2011