1 July-31 December 2013: Lithuanian Presidency of the Council of the European Union
Today, 1st of July 2013 Lithuania, for the first time since accession to the EU in 2004, takes over the rotating EU presidency from Ireland and will hold it until 31 December 2013.
The Lithuanian Presidency will be the second of the Trio Presidency with Ireland and Greece; the three members have agreed on a common framework for the 18 months period.
In the fields of Education, Youth, Culture and Sport, Lithuania will give emphasis to:
– The internationalisation and efficient financing of higher education, as well as leadership in education, as matters of highest importance.
– Devoting particular attention to youth employment and social inclusion.
– The need for better quality and efficiency in education and training and inclusive vocational training, as well as conducting discussion on open educational resources and digital learning.
– The need of involvement of youth itself in solving youth employm ent problems, listening to their offers and ideas and following them.
– Enhancing the social inclusion of young people, with particular emphasis on young people not in employment, education and training (NEETs).
– Promoting cross-sectorial cooperation as the underlying principle of integral youth policy.
– Exchanging good practices on social inclusion of young people.
– Promoting cooperation in the youth policy field between young people from European Union and Eastern Europe and Caucasus countries.
– Promotion of public health through physical activity.
Find out more: http://www.eu2013.lt