Statement by President Barroso following the Round table on Youth Employment in Europe
Implementing concrete and complementary action at national and European level is needed to fight youth unemployment in Europe. This was the clear message President Barroso conveyed yesterday, at the round table for the Promotion of Youth Employment in Europe, hosted by Chancellor Merkel in Berlin.
He highlighted five main areas where the Commission provides added value:
1. ensure implementation of country specific recommendations, including concrete structural reforms of labour markets.
2. support member states in their efforts to implement the Youth Guarantee and by frontloading the Youth Employment Initiative.
3. accelerate work with member states so that European Social Fund can provide extensive support.
4. promote cross-border mobility among young people.
5. ease transition from education to work, e.g. through European Alliance for Apprenticeships and ERASMUS+.